This sweet and savory pastry will melt in your mouth. Paired with ONEHOPE California Chardonnay, the chévre, cherry and buttery pastry highlight the crisp apple and pear notes in the wine. Enjoy the hint of caramel on the finish to perfectly meld with the savory chévre and pastry.
[mk_image src="http://www.onehopewine.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/pastry_600x900.jpg" image_width="600" image_height="900" crop="true" svg="false" lightbox="false" frame_style="simple" target="_self" caption_location="inside-image" align="left" margin_bottom="10"][vc_empty_space height="20px"][
Yield: 4 large pastries[vc_empty_space height="20px"]
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 8 oz. cherry preserves
- 8 oz. chévre
- Egg wash (1 egg + 2 tablespoons of water lightly beaten)
- 2 tbs melted butter
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- If using frozen puff pastry, allow it to thaw for 30 minutes. You want your pastry to be workable, but not sticky.
- Lightly flour work surface and rolling pin. Roll dough to just under 1/4"
- Cut out your dough using a large cookie cutter. We were able to cut out 8 large hearts (enough for 4 pastries) and 4 small hearts (enough for 2 pastries).
- Place half of the cut out dough on your work surface and layer shapes with chévre and preserves. Be careful not to use too much of the either cheese or preserves. For a 4" heart cookie cutter, we used about 2 tablespoons chévre and 2 tablespoons preserves per pastry. Be sure to leave a 1/2" border of dough around the filling.
- Place the remaining dough shapes on your work surface. Using a knife, score the dough in whatever design desired. This will allow your pastry to vent while baking.
- Give the scored dough shapes a little stretch and place over the shapes with the chévre and cherry preserves. Make sure the edges line up.
- Using a fork, press the top and bottom layers of dough together around the edge of your pastry to seal it shut.
- Using a brush, lightly coat each pastry with egg wash and melted butter. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake for about 8 minutes (or until edges are golden and pastry begins to flake).
- Remove from oven and allow pastries to set for 2-3 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired and serve with ONEHOPE California Chardonnay.