With pound of leftover figs from our Fig & Rosemary Sparkling Cocktail and Fig & Prosciutto Flatbread Pizza, we were on the hunt for a yummy fall harvest inspired recipe. When we stumbled upon Michael Chiarello's Chicken a la Vendemmia recipe, we were sold. What better way to use up our figs than with ripe grapes that could be pulled off of our own vineyard? We sought out to replicated the dish with a few little tweaks along the way and were delighted with how simple and delicious this turned out to be. Find the original recipe here and make sure you check out Michael's restaurant, Bottega in Yountville the next time you visit Napa - it's one of our favorites. Cheers!
Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 servings
I N G R E D I E N T S
2 lbs grapes (seeded or seedless table grapes)
2 large bone-in chicken breasts (skin on)
2 teaspoons fennel
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup shallot, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons minced rosemary
1 cup fresh figs (halved)
D I R E C T I O N S
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a food processor, puree the grapes and then strain. You want to extract as much of the juice as possible so you may need to press the solids up against a sieve to do so. 2 lbs. of grapes should yield about 2 cups of juice.
- Season your chicken breasts liberally with fennel. Sprinkle each with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat an ovenproof skillet over medium/high heat. Once your skillet is hot, add the olive oil and chicken (skin side down) and cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts over and cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer pan to oven and cook until chicken is done (10-15 minutes).
- Remove chicken from the skillet and discard all but 1-2 tablespoons of fat from the pan. Add the shallot and cook until softened and slightly transparent. Add rosemary for 10-15 seconds before incorporating your grape juice, stirring to evenly distribute the heat. Simmer for about 2 minutes (or until mixture starts to reduce) and add your figs. Allow figs to warm throughout (about 1-2 more minutes before removing from heat).
- Plate your chicken and pour the sauce and figs overtop. Garnish with fresh rosemary and serve with a glass of ONEHOPE Chardonnay. Cheers!