We've been looking for an excuse to make floral ice cubes for a while. When we decided to host a Pink Party for Breast Cancer Awareness Month, it seemed like the perfect time to give it a whirl. Floral ice cubes will jazz up any water glass and will be something special that your guests never forget. Follow along and create your own. :-)
- Ice Cube Tray (any will work, but we used this one to make larger cubes)
- Edible flowers or fruit (we ordered edible flowers from here)
- A kettle to boil your water
- If using florals, order them 2-3 days ahead of time. We used this company and because the flowers are perishable, they overnighted them to us :-)
- In a kettle, boil your water and let it cool. Boil the water a second time and let it cool completely. Boiling the water twice helps eliminate tiny air bubbles and minerals that will make your ice white when it freezes. Crystal clear ice will help show off your flowers.
- While water is boiling or cooling, remove any greens from your flowers. While the greens are edible, we found that they turned our ice cubes slightly green on our first try - oops!
- Put a few flowers into the bottom of your ice cub tray and fill with 1/4" water. Freeze water.
- Once the water has frozen, layer some more flowers on top of the ice and fill your trays with remaining water and freeze.