We know you’ve been eagerly awaiting our next recipe in honor of California Wine Month. Well, we decided it was time for a delicious wine-laced drink, particularly a hot one to ward off those chills that sometimes come with the colder months. Straight from Food & Wine, this cocktail is the perfect comfort drink.
Red wine and kirsch (a clear brandy made from sour morello cherries) is the base for this tasty seasonal drink laced with citrus and warming spices such as cinnamon, cardamom and black pepper.
- 2 bottles light-bodied red wine (like ONEHOPE’s 2013 Napa Valley Reserve Red Blend)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 3 black peppercorns, crushed
- 2 cardamom pods, crushed
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick, crushed
- 1 clove, crushed
- ½ cup kirsch
- In a large saucepan, combine the red wine with the sugar and orange and lemon zest.
- Put the spices in a tea ball and add to the saucepan.
- Bring the wine to a slow simmer over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from the heat, discard the tea ball and stir in the kirsch.
- Ladle the spiced wine into heatproof glasses and serve immediately.
Note: The spiced wine can be kept overnight at room temperature. Reheat before serving.